WPG Glasurit
Published on November 9th 2020 in

Wholesale Paint Group launches in Darwin

From humble beginnings as a small family owned business, Wholesale Paint Group (WPG) in Queensland has introduced their sixth shop in Darwin, allowing body shops access to a diverse range of automotive equipment and refinish brands such as Glasurit and baslac.

“BASF conducted a market review in 2018 and identified the Darwin market as a real opportunity to provide body shops in Darwin with closer access to our leading brands,” said Mark Spiteri, “Wholesale Paint Group was selected based on the success of their rapid growth in Far North Queensland, their industry knowledge and desire to service the Darwin market. We look forward to working with them in servicing the Darwin refinish market with the full suite of BASF refinish products.”

Craig Bennett, Managing Director of WPG, has maintained the same business model across all six shops and attributes this to their success. WPG are now has a wide geographic spread in Queensland with shops located in Cairns, Mackay, Gladstone, Townsville, Rockhampton and the latest addition, Darwin in the Northern Territory.

“We’ve always had an eye for growth, but we didn’t plan on having six shops. The first shop in Townsville was for sale so we bought it and it started going well and we found this is not as difficult as we thought,” explained Craig. “We then opened a new shop in Mackay. It’s been every two to three years we’ve opened a new shop”.

WPG stock BASF automotive refinish brands including Glasurit, baslac, Norbin and Rodim and work in collaboration with the local BASF Australia team in Queensland to ensure they offer the automotive industry the best product and services. Craig and his team are experiencing early success in Darwin with six paint systems being installed in the next month, and with the support of Zac Evans on Glasurit and Tommy Sinclair on baslac, they will be able to grow together. WPG’s automotive division is their largest, delivering 30% of their business, with the other 70% consisting of decorative, industrial, marine, timber, trade paint and sign supplies markets.

“We have the support of the BASF duo who work closely with our team. It’s a very professional package that we put together when we go into customers as a joint team, it works really well for both of us,” said Craig. “Our customers want to see the manufacturer and they want to talk to our reps. I think it’s knowing that the support and the backing of BASF is there, as is the Vision 360 program that are good tools for the customers.”

Consistency is key for WPG and they have a solid business plan with proven systems to ensure the success of their business. This includes the careful selection of brands they offer along with the above-mentioned comprehensive market coverage. It is a combination of their brands, the support of their suppliers and their diversity that contributes to their success. In a year of challenges WPG has a proven, resilient business model and have plans to ensure a successful future with expansion of their Cairns business and a relocation to a larger facility in Townsville.

The launch of WPG in Darwin matched the vision for their business. They really made an entrance into the market with hundreds of current and prospective customers in attendance liaising with manufacturers and suppliers, local car clubs and the local radio station broadcasted on site during the event.

Industry Partners

Address