By recently publishing its 2019 Sustainability Report, PPG has highlighted the company’s progress toward achieving its 2025 sustainability goals in key environmental, social and governance areas.
“At the centre of our company’s purpose is a commitment to ‘protect and beautify the world,’” said Michael H. McGarry, PPG Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. “Now more than ever, the word ‘protect’ is taking on even greater meaning as we are focused on protecting our people, customers, communities and all of our stakeholders in managing the global impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. We are proud to celebrate our 2019 sustainability achievements, and we remain focused on a brighter future as we navigate these unprecedented times.”
Throughout 2019, PPG further reduced the environmental impact of its operations, developed products that enhanced customers’ sustainability, engaged communities for a brighter tomorrow and strengthened its global workforce:
- 33 percent of sales came from sustainably advantaged products and processes, such as the PPG MOONWALK automated paint mixing system
- 33 percent of manufacturing and R&D locations had zero landfilled process waste
- Female representation increased to over 30 percent of the total workforce – a seven percentage point increase since 2014
- Invested $US6.8 million in support of science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM) education programs
- Completed a record number of COLORFUL COMMUNITIES projects in 41 countries, positively impacting 6.5 million students, seniors, teachers, patients and community members since 2015
- Continued to strengthen “The PPG Way” culture
- Reduced waste disposal intensity by 25 percent from the 2017 baseline
- Reduced spills and releases by 32 percent from the 2017 baseline.
To view the report, watch videos and learn more about PPG’s sustainability progress, visit https://www.sustainability.ppg.com/.