The facts behind ANCAP 2019-20.
Each year ANCAP goes ‘beyond the stars’ and looks at the facts and figures that sit behind the work they do at ANCAP SAFETY.
While 2020 has been a challenging year for Australia, New Zealand and the world, it is reassuring to note the COVID-19 pandemic has not had a significant impact on ANCAP operations and output, allowing us to continue to provide Australasian consumers with independent vehicle safety information and advice on a range of new models arriving on our shores.
A simple star rating is the end-product we provide for each vehicle we assess, however a lot goes on behind the scenes in order to produce each and every one. Here’s a sneak peek:
During the 2019-20 financial year:
- 291 independent tests were conducted
- 36 new vehicle models were rated, covering 151 variants
- 143 vehicles were destroyed in the name of safety
- 92% of new vehicles sold held the maximum 5-star ANCAP safety rating
- 948,000 new 5-star vehicles joined Australian & New Zealand roads
- Australia’s first Safety Assist test facility was established
- Rescue Sheets – to assist First Responders – were published for the first time
- 7 alternative-powered vehicle models were rated
For a complete look at all the facts and figures captured during 2019-20, visit: ancap.com.au/facts.