As impressive as it is to be able to trace its origins, as Pittsburgh Plate Glass, back almost 140 years, a key part of today’s PPG is actually even older.
Way back in 1722, Jan Pieterszoon Schoen set up a windmill in the Netherlands to grind pigments for local painters. The company he founded, Pieter Schoen & Sons, later moved into paint manufacturing. In 1972, it was one of three companies that merged to form Sigma Coatings and then further expanded to become SigmaKalon, which PPG acquired in 2008.
As a result, PPG is proud to mark the incredible milestone of 300 years of operations in the Netherlands and the anniversary of the Sigma Coatings brand by PPG, one of the leading architectural coatings brands in Europe. The anniversary celebrations began on Dutch National Painters’ Day, with PPG staff visiting thousands of painters across the country to personally thank them for their work. Today, PPG has six sites and 61 stores in the Netherlands, employing 1,200 people and offering a portfolio of leading architectural coatings brands.
“We are pleased to celebrate such a proud history of paints and coatings innovation in the Netherlands,” said Justus Tichelman, PPG General Manager, Benelux Trade, Architectural Coatings. “Schoen laid the foundation for a company that has truly stood the test of time. His company was one of the first to offer pigments and dyes commercially for paint makers and evolved to become one of the first international paint companies. It thrived with a focus on continuously responding to customers’ needs and changing market conditions – something that remains a core value for PPG.”